Cardinal Glennon--Home away from home

Cardinal Glennon--Home away from home

Monday, October 4, 2010

Remove the head, then the legs, then the guts...
















What a weekend we had as a family!! It was different to say the least. Saturday morning hit us with cold, rainy, windy weather, but that did not slow down our plans. We got to butchering our chickens. The boys rather. THey are the ones who take care of them. We did 5 roosters and 2 hens. It took us a total of 3 hours start to finish. The boys had a blast. Who knew a chicken could flop w/o its head. It was the funniest thing. I got the water a boiling in the house and that was it for me. I was the picture taker. Grandma, grandpa, and dad did the rest. The kids got into it after a while. It was easier that I thought it would be. Next time Ill have to help. Grandma came back later that night to fry it up for us. I cooked green beans and mashed potatoes to go along with the fried chicken. It really was good. I just had to NOT think about where it came from. It didnt bother anyone else, just me--the mom!





1 comment:

  1. I remember my grandpa(and my grandma after he died) killing and plucking chickens when I was a little girl.
    I have plucked my fair share of chickens and turkeys in the past 40 years. DH had to do the deed tho, I just couldn't.

    ReplyDelete